I’ve been thinking about how to attract the “modern quilter” to explore Stupendous Stitching techniques for their projects and give their “esthetic”. Here’s how the “Modern Quilt Guild” defines the characteristics of a “Modern Quilt”.
- Make primarily functional rather than decorative quilts
- Use asymmetry in quilt design
- Rely less on repetition and on the interaction of quilt block motifs
- Contain reinterpreted traditional blocks
- Embrace simplicity and minimalism
- Utilize alternative block structures or lack of visible block structure
- Incorporate increased use of negative space
- Are inspired by modern art and architecture
- Frequently use improvisational piecing
- Contain bold colors, on trend color combinations and graphic prints
- Often use gray and white as neutrals
- Reflect an increased use of solid fabrics
- Focus on finishing quilts on home sewing machines
So I thought I’d try my hand at making a “Stupendous Stitching modern quilt block”. What do you think?